Wednesday 15 June 2011

Al's friend


I rarely write anything on Facebook but on his anniversary this year, I had felt moved to write,
Thank you to those young people who took the trouble to place flowers on Al's bench today. So few people bother to say his name that I believed he had been forgotten. This has been extremely painful for me so it meant such a lot to me to discover that this is not the case.
I wanted his friends to know that their actions were appreciated.

Last week, I met a friend for our usual Tuesday morning breakfast date. It’s become a bit of a ritual for us. My only day off is Tuesday so we meet for breakfast or early lunch and then I see my counsellor.
My friend is one of the extremely rare few who understand. Although she has no children, she is truly empathic and really seems to understand how I feel.

Anyway, we’d finished eating and putting the world to rights and I’d complained about my bloody awful family and she’d listened and made appropriate noises at the right time – as opposed to making excuses for them which is what most seem to do if I dare mention how crap I feel when others ignore Al’s death.
As we left our seats, we were approached by a member of staff. She asked me if I was Mrs Cameron-Young and I said I was (thinking ‘how does she know my name?’). She looked very nervous as she told me that she knew Alex and she wanted me to know that people did remember him and they still thought about him and missed him. She’d read my Facebook comment and wanted me to know that people cared. She talked a little of her memories of him and said, “My mum loved him. She said he lit up a room when he walked in.” There we were - stood in the middle of a busy pub carvery with my eyes brimming with tears thanking her profusely for taking the time to say that. My friend was also quite emotional. If it hadn’t been such a public place, I’d have probably grabbed the girl and hugged her but I didn’t want to embarrass her or make her feel awkward.

Nevertheless, the sense of relief was enormous. I just couldn’t express my gratitude effectively because no words could convey how much it meant to me. All I could say was “Thank you so much. You have no idea how much it means to me to hear that.”
And then she was gone. And I went to my counselling appointment. And I noticed that my counsellor also became misty eyed when I recounted the incident. It still gets to me – that a young girl could take the time to talk to me about my son.

And I hesitate to even mention it as it feels like it detracts from that experience, but why can’t my family just occasionally make the effort to do the same. The contrast seems all the more stark now. But I’m so glad she plucked up the courage to speak to me. My boy had some lovely friends.

3 comments:

  1. I think it comes down to, you can't choose your family. On the eve of C's b'day, my Dad made a big play of saying how he feels we shouldn't observe her b'day as she doens't have one (being dead and all that) and that he was personally feeling better, and that it was time to move on.

    I think family act in inappropriate ways for loads of reasons. They want us to be better, and think it will help to tell us to get over it. They are crap at emotional stuff. They are embarrased. They don't know what to say....

    To be honest, it's the rare person - few and far between who can cope with something as tragic as the death of a child.

    I give myself (and you too ;-) ) permission to be as pissed off as I like with poeple who are crap. They should blinking well pull themselves together and be more supportive...

    Then deep breaths - at least we have each other.. and the odd kind stranger who really makes a difference! Hug to you Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find a huge comfort when support comes from a stranger, whether in person or email. How lovely she was brave enough to tell you how special Al was.

    Nearly 6 months on, I find myself increasingly intolerant (and angry) towards those who are insensitive, and equally bad, those who say nothing.

    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan and Sally. It's good to now that some people get it - bad to know that you get it because you too have lost a child.

    I guess what I resent is that fact that we, the wounded, are expected to make allowances for the ones who aren't wounded. If our wounds were visible, they'd behave differently but because they aren't, it would seem that they don't count.

    ReplyDelete