Sunday 10 April 2011

The tantalising proof that belief in God makes you happier and healthier

I met a friend for coffee last week. Her husband died suddenly and unexpectedly just three months ago. One of the things she said was that she tells people, “I know I look OK but I’m not.” She’s had a monumental amount of support. A friend or relative has spent the night in her house almost every night since her loss. She didn’t even buy any food for weeks as her fridge always seemed to be refilled by visitors. She always has company when she wants it and she feels no pressure to return to work.
She also has her faith. It runs through her like the threads in a piece of fabric. To lose her faith would result in the fabric being frayed and full of glaring holes. Her faith gives her a glow and it shines out of her even in her dark moments. Her friends are her church. They support and love her. And she knows that she is loved.
In contrast, I was dropped like a hot potato almost as soon as Al’s funeral was over. My sister, who had insisted she stay with me, left a few days before his funeral. After that, apart from a weekly visit from my sister-in-law, (and they’ve now dwindled to almost nothing) I was on my own.
I feel unable to talk about things at work because a colleague has made it so difficult to do so - just last week, I started to mention that I’d been a guest speaker on a Police training day, and before I could get any further, he interrupted to change the subject. Of course, I wasn’t about to launch into an in-depth analysis of my son’s death – I was about to make a jokey aside that it served me right if I’d gained a bit of weight because I’d felt slightly stressed and so had troughed a couple of chocolate brownies on my way to the venue. This was more a laugh at my pathetic excuses for poor eating patterns but I was prevented from continuing because the Police training day was connected to Al’s death and my colleague just does not want to hear about it at all. And will, quite rudely, shut me up if he thinks I might refer to it in any way– regardless of how tenuous the link is.
It hasn’t helped to know that I often said that I was struggling to cope but, unlike my friend, my comments have fallen on deaf ears. The only time I mention that now is with my counsellor or here.
It’s not that I begrudge my friend her support – I don’t. I just wish that I had a little of the same. Just that fact that someone might call to ask, “How are you coping?” would be enough.
I recently read a newspaper article - OK it was in the Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1358421/The-tantalising-proof-belief-God-makes-happier-healthier.html] but it made me think anyway. Anyway, one part leapt out at me.
“They discovered that many of the health benefits of religion materialise only if you go to church regularly and have good friends there. In other words, it’s the ‘organised’ part of organised religion that does a lot of the good stuff. “
That didn’t feel like news to me. It’s a thought I’ve had several times over the years. But each time it appears in my mind, it feels very true. As if I’m missing out on something and if I could just find a way to accept this thing I ‘know’ to be untrue, I would find my Utopia. Maybe for me, that’s where this resurgent interest in Theology stems from.

However, if I’m honest, I’ve still no intention of dragging myself out of bed at the crack of dawn on a Sunday to spend time with people with whom I don't know how to share fundamental beliefs just so that they will be my friend. I guess my own laziness will be my downfall.

3 comments:

  1. Well, we were regular attenders, and it didn't work for us - so obviously as a plan it isn't fool proof!

    I suspect it is a bit pot luck to be honest, depending on your particular Minister or Priest and the people you know at church.

    I also wonder if there is something particualrly hard and unatural about a child dying that leads people to run for cover? It is a far more common experience, and am I making too much of a leap to think that this lady is mature, and therefore her friends are more likely to be widowed themselves, and better placed to step in and hand hold too? Don't know - just thinking aloud....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the 'pot luck'. I fail to understand how believing in a deity no-one has ever seen and can be construed as hearsay can improve the odds on our health and happiness. All that could do that is a time machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The church is quite a young crowd - lots of families with under 10s. My friend is middle aged but is amonst the older end of the congregation. They do seem to be an unusually close knit bunch though. They even go on holiday together.

    But then this is the church that I visited where it was said that all you have to do is follow God and you will live a long life. Oddly, it would seem that hasn't occurred to her, or any of the congregation, that her devout hubby was only young when he died (50 is nothing!) and so that should either mean that the original comment was a load of crap or he wasn't a true follower of God.

    Personally, I'm inclined to go for the former but I'd never even raise the issue with her. I tried raising it with a mutual friend immediately after I visited the church and was fobbed off and it seems to have been 'forgotten'.

    I think the article makes a fair point. It's the cameraderie of the group that seems to provide the most benefit. It's just that a shared faith is what binds the group.

    I wonder whether Humanist groups fare as well.

    ReplyDelete