Sunday 6 February 2011

Drinking to numb the pain

Last night I was at a party having fun. I looked good. I felt confident and relaxed and was enjoying being surrounded by lots of familiar faces.
Over the course of the evening, I drank three glasses of Rose. The last time I had a glass of anything was a small Baileys on Christmas Day so I can hardly be described as a hardened drinker. Three glasses is a huge amount for me and although I topped up each glass with iced water, I was a little tipsy.
They had karaoke. Lots of people decided to participate. Not me of course – it would take at least couple of bottles of wine to persuade me to sing publicly – and I’d pass out long before I managed that. But I was happy to sit and enjoy the singers basking in their moment of fame.
Unfortunately, one singer chose a Queen song – the very song I chose for Al’s funeral. I sat rooted to the spot – wanting to leave yet not wanting to draw any attention to myself. A friend guessed immediately, leaned over, and squeezed my arm. A small gesture that conveyed so much. It was comforting to feel her empathy.
I was aware that I was shaking and foolishly, got myself a brandy and knocked it back. I’ve never had a drink to ease any pain before and it shocked me. It won’t happen again. Lord only knows what I was thinking. I was already half cut so having a drink to steady myself was a rather strange idea. 
The whole incident made me think of Al though. And I could picture him dancing and bouncing around laughing to that song – and singing just as badly as the person who was on stage – Al was completely tone deaf and had no sense of rhythm when singing but that never bothered him at all. If we teased him for singing out of time and/or out of tune, he just sang louder.
I wish I could hear him singing right now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beverley

    I'm so sorry you had that moment - they completely fell you, don't they? Don't be too hard on yourself about the brandy. Others (me included) are much, much worse. I understand that you don't want to feel that you're using drink, but absolutely no one would blame you for doing what you have to do to get through to the next minute. Be easy on yourself.

    Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete